Everyone has a different preference when it comes to chocolate brownies – I’m personally a fudgy brownie kind of girl, and nothing irks me more than a super dry, cakey brownie that’s lost all of its rich chocolatey-ness.
I’ve tried many different recipes over the years to achieve the right chewy texture while maintaining structural integrity. After a lot of tweaking and countless failed experiments, I’ve finally come up with a recipe that delivers a batch of perfect fudgy chocolate brownies, complete with that crispy, flakey layer on top. It’s so simple, and yet all the steps are crucial to get the desired result – and as always, please tag me (@myfoodbellygram) on Instagram if you make them!
Fudgy Chocolate Chip Brownies
Makes a 18cm x 28 cm tray (approx. 12)
- 250g high-quality dark chocolate
- 150g unsalted butter
- 200g granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 100g plain white flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g chocolate chips/chopped chocolate (I used a mix of milk and white chocolate)
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees fan-forced.
- Line your baking tray with baking paper.
- Melt dark chocolate and butter slowly over a bain marie.
- Using a stand or electric mixer, mix eggs and sugar at a high speed until very light and fluffy. Tip: this step is crucial for achieving the thin, flakey layer on top of the brownies.
- Mix the melted chocolate into the egg and sugar mixture until incorporated.
- Fold the sifted flour, salt and vanilla extract into the mixture slowly, taking care not to remove too much of the air.
- Add chocolate chips and fold throughout.
- Pour mixture into the lined baking tray and bake in pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes. Tip: it is so important to not overbake these brownies, or they will lose their fudgyness – a skewer should definitely not come out clean, and err on the side of underbaking if you have to!
Follow the above instructions, and you’ll be left with amazing, delicious, chewy chocolate chip brownies every time! They’re best eaten warm with some simple vanilla ice-cream on the side, or take a big batch in to work/school and everyone will love you for it!